Sunday, March 6, 2011

bobs and bits


I'd like to give a HUGE thank you to Helen for pointing out that my pears were William Pears and in fact were ripe when crunchy. After reading that, I stood atop of unstable chairs and plucked enough to fill one bucket. We gave some away to my parents and stewed the rest, and we are now officially all peared-out! I added a little sugar, cinnamon and lemon rind were added during the 2 and a half hour simmering session. They were nice, a little bit too mild in flavour perhaps, but it is special to be eating our own pears unlike last year.


I have begun a travel photography course, as I am tired of returning from a holiday with god awful photos of things that I remember being incredible, vivid, and IN FOCUS!!!!  I really want to know what all those 'little knobs, dials and buttons' do, and know how to change the lighting and depth of field to achieve those gorgeous blurry backgrounds. I came away from todays session feeling overwhelmed and wishing I had the ability to grasp new concepts with ease. I am very slowly (painstakingly) beginning to understand aperture, shutter speed and ISO. my.brain.hurts
x

2 comments:

  1. I like the sound of how you cooked your pears I stewed mine with our royal gala apples and a few figs they were fabulous and the figs gave the stew a gorgeous pink colour I also added lemon juice and sugar to taste. Is delicious with homemade yogurt. I filled some ziplock bags and froze some of the stew for later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops forgot the cinnamon sticks also added cinnamon sticks to the stewing part.

    ReplyDelete